Monday 15 March 2010

Right time, right date, wrong place

It’s Saturday 7.00pm and I’m sat in front of the legendary Rum Doodle bar in Kathmandu waiting to meet up with Nicky – my potential trekking partner who’d contacted me through Trekinfo.com. The bar is closed. I wait, clock watching, before finally giving up 40 minutes later.


Finding an internet café, I drop Nicky a line explaining that I’ll pop into her hotel later that evening. I head off to find something to eat, slightly nervous that my plan to trek with someone other than a guide or porter is about to fall through.


Fortunately, when I arrive at Nicky’s hotel, they hand me a message saying that she at Sam’s bar. Arriving at Sam’s Bar, all becomes clear: Rum Doodle had moved premises and she’d headed to the new place whilst I’d followed the Book ‘o’ Lies to the previous address.


A few beers and a little planning later and we decide to arrange bus tickets to Besi Shahar (the starting point for the Annapurna Circuit trek) for Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment